U. S. Navy New Year’s 2015 celebration image from Japan

Yokosuka New Year's Eve

Fireworks explode in the air over U.S. ships docked in Yokosuka, Japan, Jan. 01, 2015, as part of a New Year’s celebration. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Chris Cavagnaro

With 24,000 military and civilian personnel, this is a very large installation!

Fleet Activities, Yokosuka comprises 568 acres and is located 43 miles south of Tokyo at the entrance of Tokyo Bay and approximately 18 miles south of Yokohama. Yokosuka is on the Miura peninsula in the Kanto Plain region of the Pacific Coast in Central Honshu, Japan. CFAY is the largest overseas U.S. Naval installation in the world and is considered to be one of the most strategically important bases in the U.S. military.

My knowledge of Asian geography and history is sorely lacking.  If I hadn’t seen the fine japan nbimage by Petty Officer Cavagnaro, I’d never have looked Yokosuka up. It’s clear that this base remains an important part of our national defense.  Perhaps you or a family member has served there in the past or may in the future.

I don’t know how many Americans are so far from home as the new year begins but may everyone return home safe and sound and appreciated by a grateful country.

This entry was posted in Food for the soul, Future Veterans, Guest authors and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to U. S. Navy New Year’s 2015 celebration image from Japan

1. steve says:

brings back memories of stories my father told me abt his trip the the Korean Penninsula to help out with the saki summit. I recall him telling me all of the army guys on the ship were puking thier guts up from the rough seas, and the nerves. Vomit was rolling from one end of the ship to the other. I bet many of the army guys had never been on the high seas before.. Not too many Korean vets left. I had the pleasure to meet an 84 yr old triple purple heart recipient. Spoke with him a while and thanked him for his service with a handshake and a smile. I saw tears well up in his eyes and he told me how much it meant to hear that, as it was a forgotten war, that everyone seemed to want to act like never happened.

Great memory from your dad. Thanks for sharing it. I don’t think sailors always get the “macho” appreciation that some of the other military branches get. The Coast Guard has posted some awesome images of training in high seas..Talk about danger. The waves are towering over their ships. The force of the waves and winds is incredible. .I’ll try to get a few up.
      ——And you are right about Korea. That history is being lost too. Nice of you to reach out to him.

2. SquidlyOne says:

Ah yes! Yokosuka and Tokyo, land of the “Hep” in the 1980s. Brought to you from some of the major medical companies of the world:

Yes, this is a very relevant tie-in that you’ve raised. I’ve read various conflicting research reports on whether 1a and 1b was brought into Japan by the Americans, or whether the Americans got it from the Japanese. And when this occurred as these genotypes traveled around the world. We know that a few AF force recruits had it in 1945 but there is no information about their travel. Brazil is another country of interest with lots of 1a and 1b. Some genotypes are much older than the 1s in Africa and Asia. We’ll just have to wait as researchers they try to reach some kind of consensus as their methods improve.
      At least the Japanese gov. has been dealing with the issue. In the US, blood from blood banks are shielded by law from lawsuits. I don’t know if other blood products are.

3. John King says:

If the next world war starts it could start as conflict between Japan and China. China is just itching for revenge for humiliation of WWII and rape of Nanking etc. N. Korea hates the Japanese for good reason. If either of these countries attacked Japan we would be in it. The Japanese are so guilty of war crimes that compete with Nazi Germany or maybe worse. They butchered millions of Chinese and whored thousands of Koreans in WWII.

Thanks for commenting. My old Marine said that we have to have a large presence in the Pacific–no matter what the expense–because the powers that be will not allow WWII to happen again. This is a peace-keeping and national defense long-term mission as long as Congress funds it.