VA: important lab tests for kidney function information

The VA tests veterans with, or without HCV, for creatinine levels:

grf

Three GFRs, less than 60, in a three month period, may indicate kidney disease and further testing will be needed.

This entry was posted in Guest authors, HCV Health, Sofosbuvir, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to VA: important lab tests for kidney function information

1. SPrice says:

mikey, treatments are getting shorter and shorter. I have a friend who treated with Sovaldi plus the lowest dose of a drug called GS-5816 for only 8 weeks and cleared the virus and had no side effects.

You may be able to do something like that in the future. Plus, not all drugs are cleared by the kidneys. Some are cleared by the liver and others are cleared by both the kidneys and liver.

• hepper74 says:

My anemia is slowly correcting itself so the doctors are in no hurry to question any of the results thus far. I refuse to be sick as a dog again and since it seems as though the little critters are deploying elsewhere I shall remain on the defense. I know that many people chide the fact that I refuse to put additional poisons into my system just cause the VA doles them out but this is my personal battle. I come here merely to share and I also hold true to the saying, “nothing ventured/nothing gained”. I am presently looking into a theory and will print my findings if and when they pan out.

2. SPrice says:

Kiedove,
    I work in nephrology….dialysis. High BUN and creatinine can be caused by dehydration. Look at previous results to see whether they’ve been elevated for a while or they have increased over time. Two things that can damage kidneys are diabetes and high blood pressure (and usually diabetics have high blood pressure) so controlling both can lower the risk of kidney damage.

The pee-pee nurse

Thanks Sylvia, I’ve calmed down about this over the week. I’ll get better acquainted with those past lab results as you suggest.
      My hubby has an appt. at the VA on Monday and he saw this private gastro. doctor on Thursday who did an extensive liver tests, HCV too and his liver is looking great. The ultrasound didn’t even show the fatty liver condition he’s had since 2003.
      So hubby has cut down on the salt this week. He’s been told to cut down on sugars by the gastro doc.. I I think we can prevent this from developing into anything serious. His gastro doctor is completely up-to-date on HCV, and occult HCV and we feel really fortunate.to have him nearby. I think ASKNOD members would really benefit from your expertise on kidneys, diets, anatomy and treatments if you have the time to post. Your job in nephrology must be difficult but hopefully rewarding. God bless you for helping people for what must be a terribly stressful experience.

3. steve says:

80 percent of chronic hepc patients develop kidney problems. I developed renal cell carcinoma, amd had an entire kidney removed.

I’m sorry to hear that you had to through such a scary health ordeal with regard to your kidney. This week on ABC TV, we watched a true story on NYMED about a woman who received a kidney from her son (24 yr.) who was a match. It was very moving and educational too. I didn’t know that chronic hep is also associated with kidney problems of all sorts. The list keeps getting longer, doesn’t it?

4. hepper74 says:

Wishing all the best and hope the tests are wrong. I was wondering why they were pushing multiple kidney related appointments lately. I guess I opened that door when I reported the kidney stone fiasco.

5. mikey says:

You just broke my heart and popped my dream balloon. I can’t do any contrast dyes because my creatine levels are too high.Damn my life is beginning to be a yo-yo!

Thanks for telling us about the contrast dye complication. Everyone’s bio-machine is different so I wouldn’t be too downhearted. (This coming from someone who stayed up an ungodly hour last night reading about renal-friendly diets.) It appears as if the numbers can really improve by not eating certain foods–lots of them actually. We will be ditching the salty stuff and diet Coke for example. The Dash Diet is plugged by the NKF but it’s really a complicated subject. And lab results are variable too. But wow, preventing kidney disease is really important. Since DMII is associated with HCV, diabetic kidney disease is probably something we should look into.