downloadNow we’re talking, ladies and gentlemen. When I entered this arena in 1995, less than 33% were achieving any kind of success and some relapsed years after. The pegylated Interferon (PegIntron) of the early to mid 2000s again only hit about 50%+ in repeated trials. Genotypes 2 and 3, which were always the ones most expected to achieve sustained Viral Response (SVR) have been coming out on the skinny end in 12 week trials that are Interferon-free. Enter the new, 24 week regimen.

The latest news with 24 week regimens shows an 85% SVR among Genotype 3 HCV sufferers with most exhibiting SVR by week 12. When I “volunteered” for Project 404 in July of 1970, I wasn’t allowed to ask many questions about the assignment until after I had acquiesced and signed on the line. No, this isn’t about Obamacare but it parallels it in some respects. One question I pointedly asked was what the casualty rate was. They mentioned 35-40%. Being 19 and incredibly optimistic, this young airman converted that into a chance of coming out unscathed at 60-65% which is what incredibly optimistic, testosterone-infused young servicemen tended to do in war.

I consider an 85% chance of conquering HCV to be incredibly good odds. Conversely, a 15% failure rate is almost immeasurable in the scheme of medical mishaps. This is, in the final instance, another Win or Die proposition so it is not up for debate. Left untreated, I die. I have an 85% chance of success if I press on. In my book, that’s  incredibly good odds compared to 45 years ago. Where do I sign up?

About asknod

VA claims blogger
This entry was posted in HCV Health and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.


  1. SPrice says:

    It gets even better. Bristol-Myers Squibb just filed to obtain approval in Japan for their all oral treatment with daclatasvir plus asunaprevir (without interferon or Ribavirin). Length of treatment 24 weeks with 84.7% overall “cure” rate (for those ineligible for or intolerant of treatment with interferon, the cure rate was 87.4 % and 80.5 % for previous nonresponders). 12.6% discontinuation and about 6% reporting serious side effects (mainly elevation in liver enzymes).

    The US will follow Japan, so it should be available in the US by next year.–finance.html.

  2. Randy says:

    I skirted the IFN treatments back in 1999 and decided to take a chance on the epidemic being put out there to the general public. Low and behold we have reached that day. I have sent off an email to my doctor to sign me up as well. From what I have read the side effects are way less as well so it sounds like a win-win to me. Not sure how it works on type I but we shall see. If we all get cured perhaps a party, not of the VA grade, is in order.

  3. cdneh says:

    We are off to the transplant center the end of the month, and this is on the agenda.. The Doc asked my husband to wait for this one, as he isn’t allowed Interferon anymore Thank goodness.

  4. mark says:

    We Will go on at the same time if We can, Lets Get this Party started

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.