WARNING ON TOGETHERWESERVED

How about Together We Sever you from $19.95 a year (or until you find the cancel button).

Just a little update on the website from one of our members. Apparently Togetherweserved has an interesting hook for new members. In order to pickpocket you for the one year $19.95 membership, they offer it free. The hook? Why, they just need your credit card to confirm your identity. In the small print it says if you do not opt out in 10 days then you agree to pay the $20.00 for a year. So free suddenly morphs into an Andrew Jackson coupon.  They’ll continue to dun you yearly until you find the little “Cancel” button disguised up in the upper left corner of your site stats.

Their financial office does put up a good argument for the $20.00. They connect you with all your buddies- assuming they join too. They have several “disabled Vets” working there diligently counting your cash as it rolls in. Disabled as we know can consist of 0% for Tinnitus. So Ladies and gentlemen Vets. Forewarned is forearmed. Don’t fall for the ploy. For 0 dollars, you can dig around on Facebook. For $39.95 you can find anyone in the United States for a year. It’s called a CBI or criminal background check. They sounded like a genuine outfit but alas. There’s a P.T. Barnum born every day. Some are even low enough to take Vets for a ride. Sure, no one can debate they provide a “service”. I’ll let you folks decide if it’s worth the dough.

For the next year, you can go on my profile page and post outrageous medals and claims! I don’t care. I wiped it clean.

P.S. 3/10/2019-Five years after this post, I find this blurb in a #wired post dated in 2008:

TogetherWeServed.com… launched its Air Force site last December. President Brian Foster said at that time the California company had been operating its popular Marines and Navy sites for years without complaints.

But after signing up more than 50,000 [Air Force] members in the first few weeks, participation in the site suddenly slowed as a PowerPoint presentation from Air Force Maj. Mark D. Hedden began circulating online, Foster said.

50,000 Vets at $20 each-just in 2008 for just Air Force Veterans. That, ladies and gentlemen, is One million dollars. I guess it takes a lot of money to put up a good website. I pay WordPress about $100 a year for asknod.org. Maybe I should require everyone to pay to absorb my wit and knowledge. Not. I enjoy being able to sleep at night with a good conscience.

This entry was posted in Complaints Department, Veterans Charity concerns and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to WARNING ON TOGETHERWESERVED

1. amarakus says:

Your mileage may vary. I personally found TWS somewhat helpful. That said, I looked for a coupon for a discount and submitted a small fee for membership (using a credit card that will expire before the membership). You are right to be careful on the public internet. And thanks for the info on some of these outfits like Wounded Warrior that are really not at all what they claim.

2. penumbrook says:

Thanks for saving me $20/year.

3. Dale Marcum says:

where is the page on their site to disengage from their service….I cant find it

4. Monica says:

I am one of those disabled vets that volunteers with Together We Served. All the people I work with, both paid and volunteer, are military veterans and some of us are also disabled.

I first joined Together We Served some years ago when I was still active duty and have never paid a dime nor was ever asked for my credit card info. I did not start volunteering with them until after I retired, so that is not the reason I hadn’t paid anything. The reason I hadn’t paid anything is because I READ THE DIRECTIONS.

I would suggest that before you go spouting such vitriol that you have your facts straight.

Your first mistake is in the very first line of your rant where you misspelled served. The next mistake is one of omission in that you omitted to mention which type of account: TRIAL or FREE. From what I gather you chose the TRIAL version, which is NOT the same as the FREE version. Maybe you missed the Saturday morning info bits about RIF – Reading IS Fundamental because had you fully read what a trial membership is versus a free membership, you would not be espousing this half truth.

I firmly believe in people expressing their opinion, but when it is not based on facts, is a half truth, or omission of facts, that’s when I have a problem with it.

Monica, Monica, Monica. What can I say? Did you graduate high school or did you get an exemption to serve? The word ‘sever‘ is defined as “divide by cutting or slicing, especially suddenly and forcibly.” That adequately describes the Together We Served method on 11/20/2012-the day I wrote this article- of separating you from your $20 dollars. Trust me. It is not misused in context nor misspelled. What you need to do is accurately accomplish a longitudinal review of TWS’s practices seven years ago-i.e. 2012. There was no trial membership. It was free but you still had to give them your credit card number regardless. If you chose to opt out, you had to fight to extricate yourself and your wallet. I had to call these folks and ask where the exit door was—in 2012. Apparently, my griping and that of others caused these alleged gentlemen to revamp their procedures. Reading IS fundamental. I agree with you that far. However, reading comprehension is even more important. If you cannot absorb the context of what you read, reading anything is futile.
      I hope in the future you will learn that proper research of what you desire to bitch about will save you immense embarrassment and the ridicule of your fellow Veteran peers. Had you squandered a few more minutes reading other comments below yours, you would have discovered there was a different method of divorcing you from your money in 2012. In fact, had you read the comment from your fellow employee Bruce Larsen, you might not have exposed your ignorance or lack of reading comprehension. Say hi to Bruce for me.

Thank you for your service, too. Relax. I spellchecked this for you.

• Monica says:

asknod, asknod, asknod, I know what my name is and I am glad you took the time to write it out several times just to ensure you knew how to spell it correctly. At least I don’t hide behind some nonsensical moniker. How did I know you would come back with some smart-ass retort because your point was missed (perhaps because it was poorly made as in this case). If you have to explain a joke, then it is not funny.

You are crying out for attention. From your rants, it is clear to me that you lack maturity and like to think you have mastered the English language. Anyone can open a thesaurus and dictionary nowadays, but that doesn’t mean they are educated. Poor, lonely baby. You’re sad.

If YOU had read and comprehended what I wrote, you would not have called me an employee. I AM A VOLUNTEER. RIF/RCIF!!!!!

I personally have no contact with Bruce and until I read this libelous post of yours, I had no idea who he was.

I expect another tirade from you. Why don’t you try getting off the internet and try living a life in the real world?!

And by the way, I didn’t have to use spell check because I went to and graduated from elementary, middle, and high school, as well as several colleges and learned how to read and write.

Ah, now it’s Monica the gaslighter/troll. Since you profess to be a pseudo-representative of your beloved TWS, everyone who has a complaint can now contact you at nicabill@aol.com to voice their displeasure. I commend your for your educational pursuits. I guess they don’t teach big words like ‘sever’ in college. Try Phonics and sound it out Monica. It appears your college education was mostly Poli Sci and devoid of psychology courses if you pity me.

No. I don’t need to write for my site these days but I can’t let anyone labor under a misconception. At 290% VA disabled, I chose to become accredited and then sought admittance as a nonattorney practitioner at the Federal level. I’m easy to find. Google my nonsensical moniker. Asknod Inc is one of the more successful VA law firms in the country now. We’ve never lost a case yet, baby (no misogyny intended)

It’s too bad you haven’t chosen to help Vets in a meaningful manner, too. What’s with this insane desire to make Brian Foster a millionaire for a pay-to-play social media site? Every year if 50,000 Vets ante up $20 each, it makes him another million dollars.100,000 Vets would be $2 million. Idiot’s delight! And you seriously are saying you volunteer to help lower his costs? What kind of drivel did they fill your mind with in college? And yes, drivel is a word.

That’s pretty tricky glossing over the difference between the original TWS site in 2012 and the current one. The fact is, Monica, I don’t believe you’re a Veteran of anything more than harrassing legitimate Vets. Veterans do not treat one another with derision or disdain and we are not class conscious. Maybe that’s par for the course over at TWS but not here.

• Monica says:

Wow, now at the level of a 12 year old with name calling and posting an email address. I never said I represent TWS. I am a volunteer with them and only speak on my own experience. You’re sad and you need a life. Attack, attack, attack. How lonely you must be.

Monica (X3), how soon we forget who came to my site to attack me and my reading comprehension. This has devolved downwards to the level of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Perhaps you’re off your meds and need vindication of your anger. At any rate, the conversation is no longer productive nor on point. Sadly, I must desist and return to litigating for real Veterans with real disabilities. I do wish you the best-assuming, arguendo-you truly are a disabled Vet and not some Stolen Valor type. Please give President Brian Foster my regards. It’s rumored he drives the latest model of the newest Tesla- the one that is over $150 K. That might be an indicator of his income from TWS… but I digress. My name is Alex Graham and I am easy to find. There’s a thing called Google if you need to confirm that. To be fair, my email is gagraham51@gmail.com. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

• Tom says:

asknod & Monica, I can see BOTH of your views, I just ask you both you stop bashing each other, and asknod, there was no need to bash TWS, they aren’t forcing anyone to join their site, to pay for membership even, they do have FREE membership, they offer a better membership and you have to pay for that, there’s nothing nefarious about it, there’s no hidden charges nor are they trying to “trick” people into paying. In my opinion it’s a great site, it does provide a few services for Veterans that, yes, we may be able to find elsewhere but why?? We can go to TWS, be around fellow Veterans and the operators are Veterans so they understand us, what we want/need and they have made a site to provide services to Veterans. If they are getting rich in the process, GREAT, more power to ’em. I’d MUCH RATHER give my money to a Veteran who hires Veterans and who provide services to Veterans than some business owner who’s only goal is financial gain. Every Joe Schmo can use the sites you suggested, I like TWS because I know every person there is a Veteran and I have an “automatic” trust for Veterans that others must earn. We are Veterans and I think we should work to help each other, we all have enough against us, the government fighting over defense spending, defense cuts, VA benefits changing, I could go on……and on, and on. My point is, TWS is a great site, asknod could have done his fellow Vets the favor of just warning them to be careful of the $20 charge if you don’t cancel. There was no need to add the information about finding people with criminal background checks, etc. Personally, I have used their free membership for years, I am now going to pay for the 1yr membership. I know about all the places to find friends, I also realize there are sites for other service TWS offers BUT I like TWS, as do countless other VETERANS, so to insinuate we’re stupid for joining TWS or for paying for a membership, I like it, I believe it’s worth the money to use their other services. Thank you for the warning, I DO APPRECIATE you looking out, it’s nice whenever anyone has my six. I just believe there would have been a nicer way to do it.

Monica, I get your point, I see you are passionate about defending a company/site you believe in, you obviously have the “military mindset” most Veterans have, maybe “because of” the military or maybe it’s just the way we’ve always been so it’s “WHY we chose to join the military”. Personally, I think it’s a little of both. That said, I commend your passion but, like asknod, you went a little overboard and said some things that weren’t necessary, the RIF comment, in particular. I understand your first instinct to jump knee deep to defend what you love, but we’re all Vets here and we should respect each other and therefor treat each other with respect.

Also, I believe we, as Veterans, need as many people guarding our six as possible so when someone does it, just say “thank you” and politely inform them of any mistakes they’ve made or something you believe they should have done differently. Remember, we all fought for, or would have fought for if necessary, people’s freedom of speech, you can both keep bashing each other……I realize this happened awhile ago, I just felt this is the kind of thing we need to stop doing to each other especially when we are all just looking out for our fellow Veterans. I love you all, I’d fight and die for you all and I know you’d do the same for me so let’s all act like the Warriors we are, look out for each other without the “hate”, without throwing shade and just be respectful to each other. I spent 5yrs in the Army in an Airborne Combat Engineer unit stationed at Ft Bragg, NC, I fought in Iraq and I’m now a paraplegic so I’ve learned a few lessons and fighting amongst ourselves just isn’t anything you should be exerting energy doing. I’ll “shut up” now, I just wanted to voice my opinion, let’s help each other.

Thank you for your observations, Tom. One thing seems to be lost in all these comments. I published this article (as everyone can see) on 11/12/2012. At that time, TWS offered one, and only one, option for entry to the site. You were required to submit a credit card to gain entry. Try as I might, I cannot seem to impress on TWS advocates like yourself and Monica that there simply was no other option. No CC data-no entry. Period. TWS would subsequently begin charging your credit card after 10 days if you did not opt out. For all of you who are unfamiliar with the technique, that means if you did not contact them within 10 days, you joined TWS by default-forever- or as long as the info on your credit card was current. After several years, my article was discovered by the folks who own TWS and they began recharacterizing their membership requirements to include a “free” option-albeit with greatly reduced access. This is the current version which is drastically different from what existed in 2012. As Monica is fond of pointing out, reading comprehension is essential to understanding this article’s chronology. You, Tom, are also viewing this in the present tense rather than in 2012 context. Read all the comments to better absorb the thrust of the post. TWS has changed their offerings to Vets due to negative publicity over their prior practices of scalping Vets for $19.95 a year if they failed to cancel their “free” membership after 10 days. In light of this, you may wish to delete this comment. If so, please send me an email at asknod@gmail.com and I will gladly accommodate you sir. While I respect everyone’s opinion, I refuse to suffer Monica’s-or anyone else’s- childish rants about TWS. The article was perfectly accurate in 2012. As for now, I cannot say as I am no longer a member and have no desire to be one.

• Kelly Phillips says:

Monica your wrong, asknod validated my suspicions of their free premium one year offer. No link to activate and i wont be suckered by another possible asian based fraud company stealing my Benjamins or Jeffersons, Thank You Nod

I had to cut her off, Kelly. She is beginning to advertise on my site. We don’t accept any advertising $ nor do I allow my name to be used to sponsor this kind of behaviour. It appears Mr. Brian Foster has had to reduce his preposterous get-rich quick scheme costs to inveigle more Vets to join. No longer do they dink you $20 as they did me in 2012- but at the remarkably low-priced 60 cents a day or $9.95 per year. We wish them the best. I find it most odd that Mr. Foster is forced to send unpaid volunteers like Monica Primus or Bruce Larson here to asknod.org to put out all the negative press eruptions. Their “troll” or “gaslighting” technique is especially obnoxious.

5. Jan Sasek says:

At first, like so many of you out there, I was convinced that TWS was a great way to (hopefully) get in touch with some old buddies from 60 years ago . . . but THEN I was bombarded with all kinds of ‘reminders’ to pay up or get kicked off . . . so KICK ME OFF! I’m DONE with TWS!!

6. Robert Parker says:

There are many out there that uses this tactic, RestMods is one, you really need to read the terms before you sign, RestoMods got me for months before I caught it!

7. James says:

I’ll be Damned…… Thanks…
    Please look up ” GoFundMe,com/ BUILD the wall” let me know this is $80

8. Bruce Larson says:

CC IS NOT NEEDED… Unless of course you’re one of those folks using the Internet with ZERO education on HOW it works, never actually paying attention and STOPPING TO READ the instructions… but instead just click away.

The epitome of intellectual laziness…

Typical of someone thinking NOBODY HAS TO WORK TO PROVIDE IDIOTS FREE ACCESS to the Web-service the owner(s) must PAY to provide. Do you think that the people providing the web-service togetherweserved does so MAGICALLY?

What are you a welfare whore or a veteran? Do you think that you are entitled to the production of others?

I went to college with my education benefits and became an engineer building the Internet for the past 30 years after serving 8 years as an Airborne Pathfinder Team Leader, and multiple TBIs…

All I had to do was follow the instructions to create a free account and NEVER ONCE was I ‘required’ to provide my CC info! I just read the simple instructions for opening a FREE LOADER account.

What is your excuse? Clearly you did not read the instructions, and instead signed up for the TRIAL MEMBERSHIP and it renewed EXACTLY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS STATE THEY WILL. Very clearly. And with puerile simplicity. So that even a child could understand them. As long as they pay attention to WHAT they are reading.

Like I learned in Pathfinder School… Not even the military can fix stupid. Fortunately, however there is always a latrine to be serviced and therefore a home for all manner of feeble minded functionary in service of the brave.

YOU are the contrived ignoramus perpetrating misfeasance of veterans in abject arrogance. That much us axiomatic.

Bruce Larson
    army.togetherweserved.com
    i.piss.n.ur.coffee@gmail.com

Ah Mr. Larson the Pathfinder in 2018. But not the pathfinder in 2012. Sir, you have shit for brains if you do not annotate the year the blog was posted. We call that “contemporary perspective”. Look it up. After six years of mulling the ill effects my post has had on your bottom line, TWS clearly decided to revamp the format. But, troll that you are, your much vaunted college education was useless when it was critically required. Considering it took you six years to find this post, I suppose we shouldn’t revoke your Pathfinder status but award you the Turtle Medal with two OLCs for your dogged perseverance-however tardy. 30 years building the Internet? Not much of a testimonial to your trade, Bruce. Too bad you skipped English 101. For the record, it’s “as” I learned in Pathfinder School, not “like”. Jez, what do they teach you pukes in college? Narcissism?

Another point. Somehow, I manage to provide this website to all-free of charge. We have no members, no dues and certainly never sell our user’s information. I pay for my WordPress site out of my own pocket. You might also notice there are no advertisements for Viagra or Russian wives here. I could make thousands each month just on that alone. Why is it TWS has such high overhead? Do they need expensive CPA/accountants to count the money and figure out where to hide it? God forbid they have a 501(c)(3) and charge an entrance fee.

9. DMAx says:

I was going to give it a try, see if I can find some old Army buddies. Felt like I was exposing a lot of personal info. Got to the CC part and scrolled over that info. Got to the free part and they still wanted my cc info. Instead I decided to google it and see if they’re legit? Yes it appears the free is after they get your cc info you get the trial but have to cancel within that 10 days or they’ll ding your cc. I’d like to give it a whirl but who knows if my old ranger buddies are even members here…

I’ve received email from the purported “ownership” threatening me with legal action. I won’t call it a scam as they obviously provide something. What, I’m not exactly sure. Best of luck in finding your buddies.

10. Arvel L Palmer says:

On the 4th step of the membership process, you do NOT have to pay the $19.95 or even use your credit card. You can click “No Thanks” and get “Free Member privileges with limited access only.” I know that it’s NOT FULL access, but it doesn’t cost $19.95 per year either.

They said free and then nicked my credit card. I had to jump through hoops to get out of it and they did get my $20. That was a number of years ago in 2012. It could be that enough Veterans complained that they instituted the “free/limited” access after they fleeced me. I guess they had to find a new way to inveigle members with an easier ejection handle.
      As I point out, always investigate the people you associate with. Assume nothing. “Always have a plan to kill everyone in the room” as one of my SF buddies said once in a country north of Thailand that rhymed with “mouse” where I never served… together… with anyone.

Good to know. Thank you.