The big GI bill carrot, student veterans, and the shutdown

carrot

Congress to post 9/11 vets
We promise you can go to college after Iraq/AF.

Who are these veterans? Student Veterans of America (SVA) have a few facts up on their website.  They note that 47% have families, 85% are older than 25, and 27% are female.  My DS (dear son) is in the first two statistics and he is one of thousands who receives post 9/11 GI bill benefits. Because the GI bill hotline was shut down, SVA and VFW stepped up and answered student veterans’ questions via email.  The message for student vets was not good:

VA Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed this week that living stipends and other benefit payments for nearly one million currently-enrolled student-veterans could be cut off if Congress fails to resolve the government shutdown by Nov. 1.

Wounded Warriers pledged 20 million dollars, or $500 each to about 40,000 veterans who would miss their Nov. 1 payment.  With the shutdown ended, they are reallocating this money back to their programs.

When these young people joined the military, they faced getting beheaded and other atrocities in the middle east. To have certain Congressman vote to abruptly end the program they really need and value-a college education–and a financial stipend rug out from under them, mid-term, is deeply shameful to me. The Washington Post’s infographs “Faces of the Fallen” is a poignant reminder that  6,735 U.S. service members have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.  The Army and Marines lost the most of America’s finest. God bless them all.

The GI Facebook page is back up, “We’re back!”

This entry was posted in Guest authors, Gulf War Issues, Veterans Law, VR&E and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The big GI bill carrot, student veterans, and the shutdown

1. david j murphy says:

Fully agree, SIR

2. Frank says:

No, no political disagreement in this reply at all; just as no political argument can be found in such words as: “off base,” “rampant spending,” “pawns,” “our current form of govt” [sic], in the 1st reply. Right?

FWIW, though, the government shutdown stopped Uncle Sam, not from new spending, but from cutting checks to pay for the spending authorizations Congress had previously racked up.

• david j murphy says:

Belive we can agree that using vets as pawns is low and needs to stop. However we will see this again around Jan or FEB of 2014. My opinion only

3. david j murphy says:

Your son is an american hero. However I respectfully belive you are a little off base sir. Many of these congressmen are attempting to stop the rampant spending going on in this country and we and people like your son and my children who are also getting VA college bennies are being used as pawns by our current form of govt. This threat has been made several times before in similar govt crisis situations. .spending bills were before the senate to fund us and much of the govt and the choice was made to threaten to cut us off from funding. This is my opinion only, do not wish to see political disagreements enter this site as I see this site as about and for us as the vets.

Thank you for including my son. He served in the AF and in combat zones. He just started college this fall and can’t be worried about having it end mid-term and wondering if he can keep the lights on. I agree with you 100% about wasteful government spending in all branches of government. I hate that veterans’ families are being used as pawns instead of using the time-honored legal and standard way of getting bills passed!. When I was a kid, I remember civic lessons on “How a bill becomes a law.”. My teachers didn’t tell us about earkmarks!
      I believe in each congressional member’s individual accountability and could care less about their party which they can hide behind. Therefore I agree that we need to be neutral about parties. But we can discuss better approaches for cost-savings in the VHA.as we learn about them. For example, I think they are on to something good with the telehealth program providing the veteran will cooperate with his nurse. Most vets enrolled are apparently very satisfied with the telehealth services! And using technology efficiently will stretch the VA’s health care dollars. My DH (dear husband) likes my healthyevet and secure messaging. I see encouraging progress being made with that website. Thanks for writing.

• david j murphy says:

For all who may read this, my prior post regarding current form of govt is not aimed at either political party, rather at both. We have been used as pawns by all not by some. Again my opinion only and God bless you all for yours.